Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

It had to be said.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jaiphonderby
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2008-09-01

It had to be said. Empty
PostSubject: It had to be said.   It had to be said. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 8:25 am

So if God is almighty, could he create a rock that he himself could not lift? Or a sandwich that he himself could not finish? Etc. etc. Discuss! =D
Back to top Go down
novitas
Guardian
Guardian
novitas

Number of posts : 135

It had to be said. Empty
PostSubject: Re: It had to be said.   It had to be said. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 1:35 am

It's completely illogical to state that an omnipotent supernatural being can create a rock he cannot lift. You're applying human traits to a supernatural being and comparing his own abilities against himself. If God is truly almighty and the complete god he is, then he cannot create a rock that he cannot lift, nor can he create a sandwich he cannot finish. This is attempting to put the deity in a negative light, when in reality...

Such a supernatural being with supernatural powers of the highest abilities has no bounds and can lift everything in its power or eat anything in existence.

As much of an atheist I am, I'd love to deny that existence of powers and abilities, but seriously~ You can't ask that sort of question and attempt to disprove a deity's powers that way. Scientific methods do not work on metaphysical or supernatural issues. ;3
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xlethe
Jaiphonderby
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

It had to be said. Empty
PostSubject: Re: It had to be said.   It had to be said. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 4:13 am

Have you seen Groundhog Day?
Back to top Go down
novitas
Guardian
Guardian
novitas

It had to be said. Empty
PostSubject: Re: It had to be said.   It had to be said. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 5:45 am

Jaiphonderby wrote:
Have you seen Groundhog Day?

Nope, I never have.
Back to top Go down
Jaiphonderby
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

It had to be said. Empty
PostSubject: Re: It had to be said.   It had to be said. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 6:57 am

Oh...I see. So Groundhog Day is about this guy who lives the same day over and over and over and over and over and over. And basically it just resets everything he does. In the end he makes this assumption that he's God, because over time he's learned everything about everyone and he's even picked up hobbies like playing piano or ice sculpting and etc. So people who are reset are like, "Wow, I didn't know you could play the piano so well!" when really he's been going to the same piano teacher every day and saying "It's my first lesson."

And uh, yeah. I dunno where I'm going with this. I lost my train of thought. ^^;;
Back to top Go down
Mister Servo
Plebe
Plebe
Mister Servo

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-09-02

It had to be said. Empty
PostSubject: Re: It had to be said.   It had to be said. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 3:24 am

It must be possible, God did create a being who became more powerful then himself after all.

I speak of course, of the great Chuck Norris.

...Did I make the first Chuck Norris joke on this board? I hope so. That'd be wicked cool.
Back to top Go down
Jaiphonderby
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

It had to be said. Empty
PostSubject: Re: It had to be said.   It had to be said. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 5:52 pm

You did indeed. Well played, sir.
Back to top Go down
novitas
Guardian
Guardian
novitas

It had to be said. Empty
PostSubject: Re: It had to be said.   It had to be said. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 3:50 am

You are the destroyer of worlds Mister Servo.
How dare you bring in a Chuck Norris joke on this forum?
This late!? I expected it to happen much earlier.
xP

Reposting an image I had in the first place:
It had to be said. Chucknorriska1
Back to top Go down
Jaiphonderby
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

It had to be said. Empty
PostSubject: Re: It had to be said.   It had to be said. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 4:29 am

I'm not too big on the Chuck Norris thing. I guess that's why.
Back to top Go down
The Lizard King
Noobegg
Noobegg
The Lizard King

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-09-27

It had to be said. Empty
PostSubject: Re: It had to be said.   It had to be said. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 5:49 pm

Most philosophically informed theists such as myself understand God as a being who can do anything that is logically possible. Therefore, if he so wishes, he can lift anything and/or eat anything.

However, there is no such thing as a rock that God cannot lift, because such a rock would be defined as an object that cannot be lifted by a being that can lift anything. The concept results in a contradiction and is thus rendered logically impossible. It cannot exist, and it makes no sense to speak of it. It's like asking God to create a square circle: he would come back with the sort of divinely witty remark the request deserves and that would be the end of it.
Back to top Go down
novitas
Guardian
Guardian
novitas

It had to be said. Empty
PostSubject: Re: It had to be said.   It had to be said. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 6:34 am

The Lizard King wrote:
Most philosophically informed theists such as myself understand God as a being who can do anything that is logically possible. Therefore, if he so wishes, he can lift anything and/or eat anything.

However, there is no such thing as a rock that God cannot lift, because such a rock would be defined as an object that cannot be lifted by a being that can lift anything. The concept results in a contradiction and is thus rendered logically impossible. It cannot exist, and it makes no sense to speak of it. It's like asking God to create a square circle: he would come back with the sort of divinely witty remark the request deserves and that would be the end of it.

study
Exactly!
This topic deserves to be smitten by this deity.
But of course, that won't happen.
:3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

It had to be said. Empty
PostSubject: Re: It had to be said.   It had to be said. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It had to be said.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: --+ a n i m u s :: [ philosophy ]-